So, I’ve been doing painted hats again, and this time my take on rotting animal heads seems to be popular. This one is a bat head featuring the alchemical symbol for putrifaction. (Before this one there was a Satanic rabbit head, but I forgot to take photos of it when it was finished! Of all things…) The up-curved brim was actually a request from the person who commissioned it, apparently this Gomer Pyle-esque style is popular among skaterboarders here– it was certainly a challenge from a design point of view, but in the end I think I was able to capitalize on and give it a truly monstrous feel it by breaking the face up across three surfaces and putting the teeth right on the leading edge of the brim, like a sneering, up-turned lip. In fact, I may just adopt this technique and call it “monster style” from now on.
Whoops, forgot I had a blog there for a minute.
It isn’t that I haven’t been busy producing art. More like, I haven’t kept a regular blog since I was a teenager. Time gets tight, and things fall off the bottom of the priority list. I guess this blog was one for a bit. But! I decided to poke its corpse back to life using black magic and a stick. To celebrate, here is my latest work:
“Mr. Moose,” 5in. X 7in. acrylic and sharpie on mini canvas board.
This was something I did for the sake of completing something fast. I have several other painting projects that I’ve been agonizing over lately, and I wanted to get something finished in just a couple of hours. It wound up being something in the neighborhood of four or five hours from the time that I painted over the original image (some lame snowman Christmas painting given to me by a co-worker, I think. Whoever it was, sorry, I painted over your painting. Come after me if you like.) until the time I finally decided to stop messing around with the details.
“Mr. Moose” is an old nickname of mine. Long story. As I said when I posted this painting on Facebook, things get weird when I try to paint my feelings. Anyways. This one is for sale or trade, but not currently available through my Etsy shop– I’m trying to move it on a more local, immediate level. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or get a hold of me in person if you know me.
My latest hat: my own take on a shrunken head. (Technically, shrunken heads no longer have eyes or teeth, they are removed along with the skull.) The laces glow in the dark, because why not? This one took much longer than usual. Not for sale– I’m keeping this one for sure.
One thing I wanted to do, which I think worked, is compose and place the face in a way which would make it look angry when viewed from one direction (the top down) and sad from another direction (the bottom up).
Progress pic, with rough draft. You can see that instead of a black background with a colored fill, I decided to do a colored background with black fill and lines. I think it worked well, but it took longer since it’s a somewhat unfamiliar style of painting for me– kind of backwards from how I normally do it.
Inspired by the new Invader Zim comic series, I decided to paint a fan art hat featuring the infamous “bloody Gir.” I snapped pictures of it along the way, just to give people an idea of what goes into one of my hats. I skipped the exhaustive stuff about primer and clearcoat, though, and just focused on the art itself:
Hat painted with primer, then white, then some nice bloody red spatters. You can see the sketch I’m working from on the right, there.
Then the basics of the body.
Highlights and shadows, beginning outlines
Tada! And then I thought, “I should do a blue version, too,” since Gir comes in two modes– the “normal” blue mode and red “attack” mode. Each one took me about twelve or fifteen hours to complete, something like that. These things are inexact, you know.
New hat for Summer 2014. This is one I kept for myself, because I haven’t done a hat for me since I first started doing these.
For more, check out my Wix site at http://enemyempire.wix.com/online-portfolio# (which should now be fixed, thanks for bugging out when I wasn’t looking, Wix)