So, I’ve been doing painted hats again, and this time my take on rotting animal heads seems to be popular. This one is a bat head featuring the alchemical symbol for putrifaction. (Before this one there was a Satanic rabbit head, but I forgot to take photos of it when it was finished! Of all things…) The up-curved brim was actually a request from the person who commissioned it, apparently this Gomer Pyle-esque style is popular among skaterboarders here– it was certainly a challenge from a design point of view, but in the end I think I was able to capitalize on and give it a truly monstrous feel it by breaking the face up across three surfaces and putting the teeth right on the leading edge of the brim, like a sneering, up-turned lip. In fact, I may just adopt this technique and call it “monster style” from now on.
My latest hat, given to my little sister for Christmas.
My latest hat: my own take on a shrunken head. (Technically, shrunken heads no longer have eyes or teeth, they are removed along with the skull.) The laces glow in the dark, because why not? This one took much longer than usual. Not for sale– I’m keeping this one for sure.
One thing I wanted to do, which I think worked, is compose and place the face in a way which would make it look angry when viewed from one direction (the top down) and sad from another direction (the bottom up).
Progress pic, with rough draft. You can see that instead of a black background with a colored fill, I decided to do a colored background with black fill and lines. I think it worked well, but it took longer since it’s a somewhat unfamiliar style of painting for me– kind of backwards from how I normally do it.
Inspired by the new Invader Zim comic series, I decided to paint a fan art hat featuring the infamous “bloody Gir.” I snapped pictures of it along the way, just to give people an idea of what goes into one of my hats. I skipped the exhaustive stuff about primer and clearcoat, though, and just focused on the art itself:
Hat painted with primer, then white, then some nice bloody red spatters. You can see the sketch I’m working from on the right, there.
Then the basics of the body.
Highlights and shadows, beginning outlines
Tada! And then I thought, “I should do a blue version, too,” since Gir comes in two modes– the “normal” blue mode and red “attack” mode. Each one took me about twelve or fifteen hours to complete, something like that. These things are inexact, you know.
These two aren’t going up for sale. Merry Xmas to two special girls!
Taken with the masking tape still on 😛
Another hand-painted one-off by M.pi.R
New hat for Summer 2014. This is one I kept for myself, because I haven’t done a hat for me since I first started doing these.
For more, check out my Wix site at http://enemyempire.wix.com/online-portfolio# (which should now be fixed, thanks for bugging out when I wasn’t looking, Wix)