Shrunken Head Hat (with progress pic!)

Photo1020_001S(1)

My latest hat: my own take on a shrunken head. (Technically, shrunken heads no longer have eyes or teeth, they are removed along with the skull.) The laces glow in the dark, because why not? This one took much longer than usual. Not for sale– I’m keeping this one for sure.

Photo1022S_1

One thing I wanted to do, which I think worked, is compose and place the face in a way which would make it look angry when viewed from one direction (the top down) and sad from another direction (the bottom up).

Photo1013S

Progress pic, with rough draft. You can see that instead of a black background with a colored fill, I decided to do a colored background with black fill and lines. I think it worked well, but it took longer since it’s a somewhat unfamiliar style of painting for me– kind of backwards from how I normally do it.

Advertisements

Bloody Gir Hats (with progress pics!)

Photo1011

Inspired by the new Invader Zim comic series, I decided to paint a fan art hat featuring the infamous “bloody Gir.” I snapped pictures of it along the way, just to give people an idea of what goes into one of my hats. I skipped the exhaustive stuff about primer and clearcoat, though, and just focused on the art itself:

Photo0996

Hat painted with primer, then white, then some nice bloody red spatters. You can see the sketch I’m working from on the right, there.

Photo0998

Then the basics of the body.

Photo0999

Basic shading

Photo1000

Yay! Blood!

Photo1001

Highlights and shadows, beginning outlines

Photo1003Tada! And then I thought, “I should do a blue version, too,” since Gir comes in two modes– the “normal” blue mode and red “attack” mode. Each one took me about twelve or fifteen hours to complete, something like that. These things are inexact, you know.